P-3 Culturally Unique Artist or Entertainer

The P-3 classification applies to an artist or entertainer to temporarily to perform, teach or coach, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique.


For a P-3 visa, you must be coming to the U.S. either individually or as a group for the purpose of developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. In addition, you must be coming to the U.S. to participate in a cultural event or events which will further the understanding or development of your art form.


Your U.S. employer or sponsoring organization must submit a petition for the non-immigrant worker. Please note that a petitioner who will be filing as an agent for multiple employers must establish that it is duly authorized to act as an agent.

Supporting Documents

The petition must include a written consultation from an appropriate labor organization; a copy of the contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary or the summary of the terms of an oral agreement between the petitioner and the beneficiary; an explanation of the event and itinerary; affidavits, testimonials or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of your or your group's skills in performing, presenting, coaching or teaching the unique and traditional art forms and giving the credentials of the expert including the basis of his or her knowledge of your or your group’s skills; or documentation that you or your group’s performance is culturally unique as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals or other published materials; and documentation that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events.

Period of Stay/Extension of Stay

Time needed to complete the event, activity or performance, not to exceed 1 year. Extension of stay is permitted in increments of up to 1 year in order to continue or complete the event, activity or performance.

Family of P-3 Visa Holders

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but may attend school or college.

Essential Support Personnel

Essential support personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P- 3 artist or entertainer and who perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker, are eligible for P-3 classification. Support personnel may include coaches, scouts, trainers and other team officials and referees.

The U.S. employer must file a separate petition for support personnel. The petition must include a consultation from an appropriate labor organization; a statement describing the support person’s prior and current essentially, critical skills and experience with the P-3 artist or entertainer; and a copy of a written contract between the employer and the support person or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement under which the support person will be employed.